Tuesday

The Castle Of The Red Tower

How were the Tripods able to control the people?

The Tripods were able to control the people by capping them. BUT, there is more than just answering this question. The first one is that I think that the Tripods washed away all the memories they have when they were young when they placed the "cap" on their heads as what Ozymandias told Will in the second chapter. I also think that the tripod controlled people by the cap but, it is WAY more complicating then this answer. But I think they have like the people who made the tripods control it, or their family control the tripod. I think this because a machine, the tripod can not control many peoples' brains all at once so that is one estimate of how the tripods can control people. Some evidence thinking back to chapter one, it said that it was made by the men in black I do not know but this made me think that since the villagers know everyone, then the tripods will know everyone because I think that one reason it is controlled by people. But the problem with this answer is if it is controlled by people, then would anyone know that it is controlled by people and are they capped because if they are not capped then the tripods might find out that they do not have a cap then another tripod will come take the people out, who is controlling it, then cap them. This can cause a problem because if they cap the people who are in charge of that tripod then the tripod will give way and everyone who has been capped by that tripod will get brainwash and forget everything.

Find evidence (quotations from the novel) to show that even though Will is comfortable living at the castle, he is frustrated that the Comte, Comtesse, and Eloise have been capped.

First evidence that Will is comfortable living at the castle is that he was settled there and there was Eloise to accompany him and he actually didn't want to leave her like in this quote '"They chose well. I'm glad Eloise." She said, "I wanted to say good-bye. Will." "It won't be for long. A few days. Then, when I am Capped..." She shook her head. "I shall not see you again. Did you know?" "But I am staying here. Your father said so, this morning." "You will stay, but not I. Did no one tell you?" "Tell me what?" "When the tournament is over, the Queen goes to serve the Tripods. It is always done." I said stupidly, "Serve them where?" "In their city." "But for how long?" "I have told you. Forever." Her words shocked me, but the look on her face was more shocking still. It was a kind of rapt devotion, the expression of someone who hugs in secret her heart's desire. Dazed, I asked her, "Your parents know this?"' found on page 135. This quote shows that Will is frustrated that the Comte, Comtesse and Eloise are going to be capped and serve the Tripods in their city. I think that Will likes Eloise because he was shocked by her words and along the journey to the White Mountains, he thought about her and how she appears in his mind. So, Will, is actually more frustrated when Eloise is going to be Capped than the Comte, and the Comtesse. Also this is the quote that I think show that even though Will is comfortable living at the castle, he is frustrated that the Comte, Comtesse, and Eloise have been capped. "Nothing as far as I can see." He nodded at Beanpole. “He knows more than I do." Beanpole said, "They are not like the villagers, or townsmen. The villagers, finding us, might have called the Tripods, but these not. They think it good for boys to leave their homes. Their own sons go far away." I suppose I was little confused still. I said, "Then they might help us!" Beanpole shook his head, sunlight flashing from the lenses in front of his eyes. "No. After all they are capped. They have different customs, but they obey the Tripods. They are still slaves. They treat us kindly, but they must not know our plans." I said, with a new alarm, "If I talked... I might have said something about the White Mountains." Beanpole shrugged. "If so, they have thought it was a fever dream. They suspect nothing, believing only that we are wanderers, you two from the land beyond the sea. Henry took the map, from your jacket. We have it safe." I had been thinking hard. I said, "Then you'd better make a break for it, while you can." "No. It will be weeks before you are fit to travel." "But you two can get away. I'll follow when I am able. I remember the map well enough." (pg.108) I chose this quote, because I think if you think about this passage, it tells that Will likes this place, and that he wants to trust the people here. This is the quote that I thought showed that even though Will is comfortable living at the castle, he is frustrated that the Comte, Comtesse, and Eloise have been capped.

Find evidence (quotes) to show how Will feels about being capped.

This is the quote that I think that shows how Will feels about being capped. "I said, "How are you?" It was not just a polite question. By now, if the capping were going to fail, he would be feeling the pains and discomfort that would lead, in due course, to his becoming a Vagrant. He said, "I'm fine, Will." I hesitated, and blurted out, "What was it like?" He shook his head. "You know it's no permitted to talk about that. But I can promise you that you won't be hurt." I said, "But why?" "Why what?" "Why should the Tripods take people away, and Cap them? What rights have they?" "They do it for out good." "But I don't see why it has to happen. I'd sooner stay as I am." He smiled. "You can't understand now, but you will understand when it happens. It's..." He shook his head. "I can't describe it." "Jack," I said, "I've been thinking." He waited, without much interest. "Of what you said-about the wonderful things that men made, before the Tripods." "That was nonsense," he said, and turned and walked on to the village. I watched him for a time and then, feeling very much alone, made my way to the den." (pg 18) I chose this passage for it because this tells the reader that Will is scared to be capped, and we can know that by reading the part when Will asked "How was it?" and Jack answering back saying that it won't hurt him. It also tells me that he is nervous about being capped. Finally, this passage tells me that he has some thinking of escaping the control of the Tripods.

No comments:

Post a Comment